Monday, November 29, 2010

What do You Want for Christmas?

What do you want for Christmas?  This is a normal question that children ask at this time of the year.  As I was reading the Christmas story as written in Luke 2, I was reminded how inconvenient our Saviour's birth was.  First off, the holy family had to travel to Bethlehem while Mary was great with child.  Then once they got there to register, not only did they lose a couple days of work but they had to find food and shelter and on top of that, they were to be taxed!  There was nothing convenient about the nativity!  As I compare the inconvenience of the first Christmas to the all of the conveniences that we celebrate with today, my heart yearns to help children embrace a deeper meaning for Christmas.  Its not about "getting" but about following God's plan.  Mary and Joseph followed God's plan.  You and I are called to follow God's plan.  It may not always feel good or be convenient but it is always good!  What do you want for Christmas this year?  As for me and my house, we want God's plan.  How about you?  Let's lead our families toward a Christ centered Christmas where it is more about God than it is about us.  

1 comment: